The most important rule in packing for a mountain climb is – travel light. Decide on the things that one may want to bring up the mountain and then halve it.
As you will need to carry your own packed lunch with you during the climb, we suggest you to reserve some space in your backpack to store your packed lunch. Otherwise it might not be a good idea to hand carry it along as you climb.
The Essentials for Mount Kinabalu
- Waterproof Backpack (or for non-waterproof bags, pack a Rain Cover).
- Lightweight Clothing.
- Comfortable Hiking Shoes.
- Change of Clothes.
- Warm Clothing.
- Waterproof Wind-breaker.
- Fleece Jacket.
- Head Torch for night climb.
- Cap, Beanie, Head Scarf or Balaclava Mask.
- Ponchos or Disposable Raincoat.
- 1.5L Drinking Water.
- 500ML Isotonic Drink.
- Energy Food such as chocolates, nuts, biscuits, sweets, energy bars.
- Personal Toiletries such as soap, toothbrush & toothpaste.
- Sunglasses, Sunblock Lotion, SPF Lip Balm, Plasters (Band Aid).
- Small Towel.
- Trekking / Hiking Pole.
- Medication such as Painkillers or Altitude Sickness Tablets
- Camera & Waterproof Camera Bag.
- Waist Pouch or Smaller Bag for Summit Ascent.
- Toilet Tissue Papers.
- Flip Flops / Sandals (for use in wet bathroom).
- Insect Repellent (to keep creepy crawlies away).
- Extra Plastic Bags.
- Small Water Bottle
Sleeping Bags are not needed for a Mount Kinabalu Climb.